Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why I Don't Tell People That I Am Catholic

When I was asked to be a godmother the first time I decided that I had reached a crossroads. I could continue on with my questions and indecision on my own but if I was going to stand up before the Christian community and swear to be Catholic and raise this little girl Catholic, being both an example and a teacher, I had damn well better be bloody  sure of Who God was and what He wanted of me in order to obtain eternal life.  I could continue on forever with my questions about God and if He was really there on my own but I could never drag a child into my indecision- not as my baptismal godparents had done to me. Fortunately and unfortunately from the time that I was asked to be her godmother and the time that I stood up and made that promise a year and a half elapsed.  By the time of her baptism I felt confident standing up and renewing the baptismal promises made for me in my infancy.  I had no doubt.  A year later I was confirmed and renewed that promise again. Since then I have been blessed with two more goddaughters and two godsons.  I have no doubt today that I made the right decision.  

Since that time I have continued to make friends that do not share religion with me.  I have lots of friends- Protestants, Wickans, Agnostics, Atheists, Hindus, Muslims, Episcopalians, and a select few Catholics.  This is not me bragging. At one point or another I considered most of these religions on my self imposed search for the truth.  That was not such a long time ago.

Due to my choice in friends I frequently find myself explaining such Catholic practices as confirmation, lent, reconciliation, the Eucharist, advent, heterosexuality vs. homosexuality (really, the Church just wants us to be celibate until marriage), abstinence, and faith.  I have been accused of being simple minded- of blindly following what a man in Rome claims is morality rather than thinking for myself- of just following the crowd.  Usually this causes me to laugh because of my long road to Catholicism, but trying to explain that is difficult at best.

Some people hear my name or where I went to school and accuse me of making all my decisions because of my religion.  I frequently choose to not bring religion into my discussions because people cease to listen when I do. At the same time people will hear where I work and just stop arguing because they see me as a lost cause.

I remember a day at my last job where a friend of mine was openly accused of being a terrorist because of his race.  I don't think I've ever been so angry in my life.  I would be just as offended if I were described as a Nazi- and I told the offending party that.  He listened- until he found out my religion.

Several years ago I was working with a girl who had a pregnancy scare while being on the pill.  I tried to be sympathetic at first but one day I told her that celibacy simplifies life and she listened.  She said she couldn't live that lifestyle because she lived with her boyfriend... and she wasn't even old enough to drink.  A few months later she found out my religion and openly asked if that's why I was celibate.  I don't think she appreciated when I laughed.

Not so long ago I made a friend who asked me if I still had my "V Card".  After I figured out what that meant I just rolled my eyes.  Needless to say, we had a long conversation after that as well. 

As embarrassing as those moments were, I've also encountered people who, upon hearing me speak of my religion say, "That makes so much sense," or "I always thought you were Christian."  These moments carry me. 

I chose to be Catholic and I choose this again every day.  I feel like it is a copout to say "Well I do this because I am Catholic."  I could just as easily say, "I do this because it is right" or "I choose this because I am a human being."  I think that being Christian should be so obvious that I don't need to say it.  I think being a good person should be every persons goal.  I think like St. Francis...
"Preach the Gospel at all times.  When necessary use words." 


No comments:

Post a Comment