Sunday, March 27, 2011

That can't be a bluebonnet; it's purple

"Bluebonnets are purple." "Then why are they called bluebonnets if they are purple? It's a lie. Why not purplebonnets?" "Well,look at it this way- if you put purple and surround it by green, what color does it look?" "Purple." "Fine, but it's still a bluebonnet." "But it's purple?" Yes, this is a conversation I had yesterday. I am sad to report that I am the first, allegedly, uninformed voice. Yes, fellow Texans, this is just another example to show that I am not native, along with the lengthy list of examples which includes 'service roads', 'toll roads', "gwad-ah-loop" street, and the feud between Aggies and Longhorns. I don't get it. Do y'all just try to make it hard for yourselves or do you just like to make things complicated? Anyways, back to bluebonnets. For those of you who are uninformed (perhaps willfully and willingly so), the purple bluebonnets are the Texas state flower. When I left for California I had never seen one. When I came back (under a week later) they were quite literally, EVERYWHERE!!!! Not a day passes by that they don't appear somewhere else, and I have to admit that I like it. Spring has come in abundance to this land of seasons (and I'm sulking that it waited for me to leave to appear) and every few inches is covered in pink poppies, purple lillies, and "bluebonnets", along with various other flowers that I don't know... except for dandelion. We have a few of those too but they are stamped out (I dare to say) ferociously by the overzealous, sometimes jealous bluebonnets. In their wake I find myself questioning the sanity of Texans again. Maybe whoever named the bluebonnet was being alliterative because "violet" was already taken and "purple bonnet" just wasn't as catchy. Perhaps if they had it to do over (and the flower were named more accurately) it would be called the periwinkle. Wow, I just realized how very Californian I sound. Hmmmm... ah well, maybe I should rescind my previous statement and yield to the general populace and agree that the flower might possibly be blu- pfft, what am I saying. Y'all are wrong, and further more, your state flower is a lie! I'm just gonna assume whoever named the bluebonnet was colorblind and move on from there. Btw, it's a very pretty flower. I like it lots. I might have to plant some... in case there is ever there is a shortage of them in Texas.

4 comments:

  1. I am very sorry about this post- it continuously removes my tabs and spaces so this is what it looks like- all squashed together. I will try to fix it again later but for now I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are completely right!! I too am from CA by the way but live here now and I keep asking my Dad why they are called bluebonnets if they are purple. He and my sister also say they are purple but every Texan I bring it up to just tells me that it's just a different shade of blue. Personally I think they knew it was purple but for some reason Texans are hard headed and do things differently from the rest of the nation just so they can be different and keep up their everything is better in Texas crap. I'm always correcting my husband telling him they aren't corney dogs they are CORN dogs, it's not right there it's over there and right here, fixing is something you do when something is broken you don't fix dinner you make dinner and it's fixing to be 12 it's about to be or it's almost 12; the list just goes on from there.
    I always tell him that Southerners choose to be different because they are still touchy they lost the civil war ha ha. I told that to my coworker who is a native and she said Yes but we never gave up and never surrendered the Alamo, I just told yeah but you lost that too.
    If I had the funds I would move from this stupid state and it's arrogant "we can suceed from the union" people who live here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh about a year ago I bought a QT cup for my husband and I said is this big enough or do you need something bigger and he responded with this'll do fine right there. I had to ask him why he added like 8 other words when he could have said this is fine. Texans confuse me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Highly entertaining, as I am debating right now with my daughter on the color of these "bluebonnets". She and everyone else seems to be color blind, there is not even a hint of blue, they are indeed Purpbonnets!!

    ReplyDelete