Friday, June 20, 2014

What will make it all worth it?

I was listening to the radio on my way home from work this week and I heard about one of the Spurs players saying that the previous week made the whole past year worth it (apparently they did well in the Playoffs).  The Radio host asked what would make all your bad days worth it?
 
I had a really bad day last week.  I woke up in a bad mood and I had a headache.  I was overwhelmed with impending events and frustrated by current ones.  I didn't want to deal with reality but reality came knocking on my door in the form of my youngest goddaughter, Napoleon, who wanted to know if I was awake yet (I wasn't) and I had to get up and answer the door before she could hear me say, "Go away.  I'm still asleep."  Needless to say, after this I couldn't get back to sleep.  So I got up and was social and attempted to find the ever elusive coffee.  I couldn't find it.  Then Captain, my Captain said something that frustrated me and wouldn't let it go. 

And so I went outside and examined the basil with alarming vigilance, searching for imaginary bugs that I could squish with my brain.  And then Attila came out and asked me if I was okay.  I wasn't and I was in no mood to pretend otherwise.  This didn't phase her.  She took my hand and sat me down.  Then she leaned against me with the faith only a child can really express and said that she would never leave.  Then she went on a tangent that some day she might move out and we'd have a house together with chickens and a pig that we wouldn't eat (because Gabbie thinks pigs are cute) but one day while I was out she would eat the pig to see if I would notice.  There was more to the conversation- about the never leaving, not about the house with the pig- but that is something between me and Attila that I hope she never forgets.  And as bad as some days have been lately, and as bad as some days will continue to be, she is mine and I am hers, and as she said, there is nothing either of us can do about it.  And she made it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment