Sunday, July 31, 2011

Christmas in July

It seems such a strange thing to be thinking about given that it is still July, but the kids have been on a winter kick this morning.  I guess this makes some degree of sense since we all rejoiced and ran outside because it was 78 degrees outside, a temperature we haven't really felt since March- but it was cold this morning and so we rejoiced!  I admit, I too have been pondering with longing for cooler, non-humid temperatures, tempered by the joy of scarves and sweaters returning to my wardrobe.  (I don't care how many sunshiney states I've lived in, I still despise wearing shorts, even if I don't think I look as bad in them as I once did.)  In addition to that, there is some small joy in playing Christmas songs in July. 

Eventually I found out that the reason for the children's enthusiasm.  The eldest boy helpfully took his siblings aside to explain that soon Summer would be over (hence the "cool" temperature that we enjoyed this morning) and after summer came autumn and after autumn came winter which included Christmas.  Am I the only one who thinks that maybe the children just have a one track mind?  On the other hand, I can't really blame them.  Texas, I love you, but the more time I live here the more I understand why people moved farther West.

No comments:

Post a Comment