Tuesday, August 02, 2011

May I please see your I.D.?

It's a simple question.  It's a frequently asked question.  My elder brother, Danny, gets carded almost every time he buys alcohol.  My Mother regularly gets carded and she's in her fifties.  All my friends get carded whenever we go out together, even the ones who are older than me. 

In the state of Texas it is required to ID anyone who looks like they are within ten years of being 21.  In Florida the law is that anyone who looks under thirty must be carded.  In California, they have a similar rule.  I have purchased alcohol in all three states (and many others) and I have been carded all of three times.  For a while I thought this might be influenced by the fact that I am usually surrounded by a) people who are a lot older than me- like in their forties or fifties, or b) small children who bear a striking resemblance to me, but frequently of late I have been going shopping by myself.  In fact, I think every time in the last few months that I have bought liquor I have not been carded.  Do I honestly look like I'm in my thirties?  Or do I just act like I'm that old? 

I realize that this is a petty thing to complain about.  I mean I should look on the bright side.  When in public people go out of their way to not offend me (because I look matronly) and apologize for inconveniencing me.  This very well may be attributed to the fact that I frequently look upset when I'm in public.  I don't try to- it just is where my face rests when I'm thinking hard- and when I am alone I think very hard. 

Oh well, maybe I'll resemble this age forever and when I'm in my sixties I will still look thirty?

No comments:

Post a Comment