Monday, October 24, 2011

Unsent Letters October 2011

Dear Jon,


When someone dies I don't like the phrase, "we lost him."  It makes me think that we have misplaced him and like all things that are misplaced we will find it again eventually.  Similarly I don't like the phrase, "he passed away," as if he were a wanderer and was never intended to stay for long.  I can't speak on "heading north", "over the hill", or "kicking the bucket" as they all stem from WWI and I try not to insult such euphemisms.  I think people disguise the loss so they can pretend that they don't feel the loss.  I'm beginning to accept this as a step of grief.  


A week ago Tuesday we lost you.  I say we because in a way, every member of humanity lost something that day, the only difference between those who didn't know you and those that did is that everyone else is blissfully unaware of what they have lost.  I cannot boast being among your close friends or even your friend, but my brother and my college roommate were very close to you.  I will never forget the first time I saw you but I cannot say as I remember the last time.  I cannot say I always liked you but I know you were trying to do God's work.  


I can't rationalize why you died, or why you had to die.  Even more than that I cannot explain why you had to hang on so long, living in pain.  I pray that such memories are forgotten in heaven.  I cannot understand why you died so young, especially when you were doing so much good.  I can say that I've never gone through such denial in my life though.  I've laid awake in bed with a guilty conscience, wishing I had been nicer to you. I sat and wondered how easily it could have been me.  I can't say as I've finished with the seven stages of guilt yet but I think I've finally reached the stage that I believe that I will.  


Your death has taken it's toll on all who knew you or went to school with you.  Shnaider said that "In a just world the clocks would stop today.  The bells would ring, and th enation would [morn] a fallen hero.  As it is, the Hero[es] life will be a beacon of Inspiration to Us all," and for once I agree.  Laura kept repeating, "I can't believe you're gone.  Put in a good word for us," but of all the facebook wisdom that I read the day that you died, I believe the best one was from Seneca.  " The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.  I know wherever you are is a happier place than where you were when I knew you and that you have found peace.  I hope you're up there with God having the time of your life after death and someday I hope to join the party.  


Until then, good-bye Jon.







No comments:

Post a Comment