Saturday, October 08, 2011

The bride

Everyone has a moment in their life that changes them- or I dearly hope so.  Hopefully it stops you in your tracks and hopefully you are forever changed by it.  Perhaps it is a ridiculous hope, but I hope it stops you in your tracks, makes you cry, and then makes you grateful.  At the end of every summer I think of one that happened when I was working in a bridal shop.

Contrary to popular belief, brides are not happy people.  In fact they are some of the most miserable human beings that I have ever come in contact with- bar none.  Ironically most of my best friends are either marrying them or becoming them.  Being friends with them can be akin to purgatory on earth (and I mean that in the best possible way), but make no mistake, working for them is hell.  My job was office managing, which meant I kept track of all incoming and outgoing orders, organized all the dresses, shoes, under gardments, veils, jewelry, tiaras, etc.  I called every bride, bridesmaid,  Mother of the Bride, Mother of the Groom, Grandmother, and flower girl.  I cleaned the shop, organized the shop, and went crazy with the shipping tape. That was fine... except when the shop got busy and I had to go and help the brides... *shudder*  But I digress.

One day I was tasked with sending back the dresses that were never picked up.  Some of them were because someone lost their job, some times the dress hadn't fit, once or twice the wedding had been called off, a LOT of times the bride had changed her mind, but there was one that stuck out in my memory.

Her name was Crystal Ball- I remember because I snickered the first time I read it.  I never met her in person but I prayed that I would be there to give it to her when she came.  She never did.  I will never forget the day that dress arrived.  It was my size and the most beautiful dress in the store.  It had the green accent which is my favorite color and it was the short version so it would have fit me too.  I loved that dress.  I wanted to wear it- just to try it on- but of course I never could.  I lovingly checked it in, hung it in it's place on the pickup line and waited every day for the bride to come and pick it up.  When returning any dress, especially when the dress has been purchased in full, paperwork requires that I give a reason.  Most of the reasons were bland and boring.  This one required me searching in the computer.  As I read through her file I felt like I was getting to know her as I read the different dresses she had looked at, the bridesmaids she had chosen, even the flower girl she had lovingly cared for.  Finally I found the reason for returning the beautiful dress.  It read as follows.
"Fiance killed in Iraq." 
The unforgetable classic, American Pie sung by Don McClean echoes in my head.
"I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died." 
I remember that day well though I couldn't tell you anything else about the day.  I just remember my boss coming into the back room to find me crying at the foot of a wedding dress.   I always thought I was made of stronger stuff.   Those who know me know I don't cry easily.  I don't cry frequently.  I can count on one hand how many times I've cried in the last three years, but I cried that day.  I will never forget that young woman who changed my life without ever meeting me.  I wish I had met her- had looked her in the eye- just to see her joy- but I'm glad I never saw her pain.  Maybe someday I'll be able to understand why that had to happen, though I doubt it.  Do me a favor and when you read this, pray for her.  Pray that she's moved on in the years since then.  Pray that she's found something to make her happy.  Pray that she never forgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment