Saturday, October 08, 2011

1571

I realize this morning that I am channeling A Catholic Guy's blog here but forgive me as I feel this is important.  In the past I have loudly announced that I did not like History until I was in college (thank you, Dr. Baxa) and that I never really learned any of it until I was in college.  This morning I was reminded that every once in a while something must have sunk in because the children's history/religion lesson was not a new page but an echo.  It took me a minute to realize this as Tia uses simpler language with her children than my high school history professor (whom I firmly believe was intent on making my head spin).  Today's lesson was on the Battle of Lepanto.  

In the world of 1571 Muslims and Christians did not get along (not unlike today) but then there was no media to frown upon them and no U.S. to beat them into submission.  What was better was the Spanish Naval Fleet naval force, who stood between the Turks and the rest of Christian Europe, were outnumbered, less experienced, and less mean (as Tia said.)  The Turks made no excuses- they would kill any man, woman, or child who would not convert and join them.  Recognizing how dire the situation was the King and Queen of Spain equipped their soldiers with a rosary, general absolution, and required that all those in the fight use both.  Most men carried their rosaries into battle, praying for victory as they went.

The Turks were defeated and never tried to take Europe again.  Pope Pius V created a new feast day- Our Lady of Victory which eventually became the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, celebrated on October 7th.

Growing up around the Norbertines at Saint Michael's Abbey in El Toro, California I frequently heard the phrase, "Where are your weapons?  Would you go into battle without your weapons?"  At the time I did not understand that they were talking about rosaries and religious medals.  I could not comprehend what you meant- now I do.  I have a nervous habit of playing with my necklace which holds my chastity ring (which is too big for my fingers) and my Saint Gabriel medal.  I usually have a rosary around my neck as well (hidden under my shirt) along with my scapular.  I jokingly call them my Catholic stamp but I keep them as a reminder of who I am inside and who I fight for- not in battle- but in prayer.  I fight for the right to be Catholic.  I fight for the right to be Christian.  I fight for the right to be a good person.  I fight for everyone I've ever known, will ever meet, and never will ever see in this life.  I fight with the devil with the only weapon that I have- prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment