Wednesday, September 12, 2012

From Russia with Love

I admit that statistics are very entertaining to me.  My favorite math class in college was entirely based on averages, statistics, and likelihoods.  I loved it, largely because this all could be converted to applicable use in poker or betting pools.  (If you ever meet my Mother, please don't tell her I said that.)  Therefore it stands to reason that my love of math would follow me in all aspects of my life, but what really amuses me is that my blog keeps track of statistics.  

No, I did not start a blog just so I could look at the numbers... or watch the self counter tick off the number of people who read it (but I was very depressed the day I learned that it had been largely counting *my* views of my blog).  I was actually tickled pink when I added the page view counter (even more so when I realized that it wasn't just me rereading my own words in print over and over again) and then I discovered the stats page.  To be fair I could care less what operating system or browser people read my blog by (especially when they are accompanied by pie graphs).  Then I discovered that I could see where people were reading my blog.  *see the Gabbie lady grin like a two-year-old who just figured out how to override the child safety lock*

Again I was disappointed when I realized that I couldn't see which state people were in (really, I just wanted to make sure that no one in Boston was keeping tabs on me), and then I discovered the awesomeness of ambiguity.  Until I found the stats page I fully believed that only people who *know* me in person read my blog.  Oh the joy of knowing you are reaching other people.  Of course they may be reading my words because a) "Look at the stupid American?" or b) "How could she be so wrong?"  I try not to think of that possibility anymore.  Or maybe it's just some computer system that is hacking away at my blog?  I try not to think about that either.

I know people who have traveled to various countries in the last two and a half years and I have some friends from college that moved to/are from other countries and that explains most of my foreign blog traffic, which is still very cool.  That being said, you cannot understand my surprise when I realized that the second most popular country to read my blog in is Russia.  

Three years ago Russia was some place in Asia that won the Olympics every year.  It was the country that kicked Napoleon's little French backside and produced such awesome music from my childhood such as Peter and the Wolf (seriously, still one of my favorite pieces to listen to.)  Russia produced such amazing artists as Igor Stravinsky, composer of Rite of Spring as well as Fyodor Dostoevsky, author of Crime and Punishment (and no, I didn't have to look up those spellings).  Russia was where Matryoshka dolls come from.  Russia was 
where the Romanov Dynasty ended.  Russia was where Fiddler on the Roof took place.  Russia was where Santa Clause lived and where Bengal Tigers ate lost travelers.  Russia was where people spoke Russian and sounded very, very beautiful.  Russia was where Peter and Pavel from Willa Cather's My Antonia came from.  Russia was where Saints Cyril and Methodius composed the Cyrillic Alphabet (I think that is correct). Russia was some place very, very far away and very, very cold.  (I very much hope that I have not offended anyone with my cultural ignorance.  I promise, I've been working on learning more about Russia since then.)


Then Tia and Tio went to Ukraine (which is not Russia, says my goddaughter) and everyone took Russian lessons.  I cannot tell you how cool it is to meet people who you cannot understand no matter how hard you try.  Also, I will never be able explain how big a headache I got trying to understand.  And then the Gabbie lady got a taste for Russian.  Okay, maybe I didn't have much interest in it until Tia made Borscht (seriously, the stuff is purple ambrosia.)  Now, I can say a few things in Russian (which is till very beautiful, even if I mangle it) but I've also learned not try.  I've also learned that "Babushka" does not mean baby in Russian.  Also along the lines of embarrassing myself greatly I have learned that Google Translate is great... but it's also evil.  I've met some very lovely Russian people here in Austin (thanks mostly to Tia) and I've also learned more about the Russian culture (albeit, there is still a LOT that I need to/would like to learn.)  The more I look at other countries the more I realize how miserably ignorant I am.

I finally brought up my concerns about my Russian blog readers to my friend that I affectionately call Bunny.  I also call him Georgia... not because he's from there or anything. Pfft!  (And yes, we really do talk this way.)


       Georgia: Yeah.  Girls. Girls be crazy.
       TGL: Some days yes.  On a totally unrelated note my blog count is at exactly 4599; how cool is that?
       Georgia: *Nice!*       
       TGL: I love my blog.  Have I mentioned this?  It makes me so happy- it makes me happier when I actually get to work on it, but ya know...              
       Georgia: hahaha- I hear ya
       TGL: Tee-hee-- wait for it --hee.  On another strange note...
       Georgia: mhmm?
       TGL: Someone in Russia is actively reading my blog.Russia is the second most popular country to read my blog.  And this week actually the score is Russia 40 and US 25.  On an unrelated note, Philippines 3.  (All of which were this week)       
       Georgia: Nice!
       TGL: Should I be worried?
       Georgia: About what?
       TGL: That someone in Russia is crushing on my blog?
       Georgia: I don't think they use that word.  
       TGL: I wonder if whoever it is is just trying to learn English?  I hope he isn't trying to     learn it from my blog?  
       Georgia: *shrug* Don't look too much into it-it's nothing.
       TGL: I'm really just curious.  Maybe it's a tall, handsome stranger with a crazily awesome Russian name like Sergei or Grigoriovich?
       Georgia: Sure, keep telling yourself that, Gabbie.  

Do you see now why I hope people are not learning English from me?  See my blog post about socks. So after that conversation with Georgia, during which he SMOTHERED my dreams, I've decided not to worry about it anymore.  Besides, I've wasted far too much time thinking about the possibilities of people I don't know and will never meet and really should focus on things that I should do- like put away my laundry or wash my car.  Oh, well.  I hope I haven't made anyone terribly self conscious.  Like I said, I think it's pretty cool that someone in Russia is reading my blog. Even if your name isn't Sergei (but that would be really cool too!)   Spasiba! 

No comments:

Post a Comment