Saturday, October 19, 2013

Lost in Austin

I feel like I write this post once every season and then never publish it, so here's hoping I do this time.  Yesterday I drove into Austin.  I do this a couple times a month because it's not THAT far but it does feel like driving into LA and I would just as soon not relive that period of my life.  I hate driving in traffic.  

Anyways, yesterday's trip was a short quest to buy local honey in bulk.  Every other year I drive down and buy a gallon or two at around 35 bucks a pop from Good Flow Honey- which really isn't bad.  And given that it's honey, it's really quite good.  

Thanks to my trusty GPS (Gabbie is not Pleased... Seriously) I found the place with limited scenic routes and in an unprecedented half hour.  A quick trip in and two minutes later I walked out with two gallons of honey, still warm, and smelling DELICIOUS!  At least my car doesn't smell like dog food anymore.  Then I was headed home.

I was pondering on the joy of my GPS (a present from my favorite uncle and my godmother) when I got lost in thought on the name of my GPS.  I used to call him Jason (after the Red Power Ranger) but on a recent trip my old college roommates dubbed her "Jazzy" and the name has stuck.  I decided that since I had gotten myself there I could get myself back and therefore didn't need to use the GPS.  Big mistake. 

It was not long after I got lost in thought that I got physically lost in Austin.  Never was there a more convoluted, badly named, intertwining, and never unwinding group of roads.  Gabbie was not pleased. 

After wandering around in figure eights for forty-five minutes I gave up, pulled over to the side of the road, popped a pop, turned Jazzy back on, and had a long conversation with God on my hour ride home.  And it wasn't that bad. 

It wasn't until I managed to get home that I realized, if I hadn't gotten lost and gone in circles, I wouldn't have spent an hour talking to God.  Sure, I started out complaining about Texas roads and Texas drivers, but then I was laughing and smiling and enjoying the morning, cause after all, my car smelled like honey.  Maybe God puts us in situations that we have to turn to Him in order to remind us that we CAN turn to Him?  Maybe this is His way of bringing us closer to Him?  Maybe everything does happen for a reason, and the reason is Him?  Or maybe I just got lost in Austin?  Yeah, sure, maybe.  But not likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment