Wednesday, March 07, 2012

So what'dya give up for Lent?

In some places this question would be met with confusion.  In others a scathing look.  In perhaps my favorite of places, laughter.  During my Catholic Education, confessing your Lenten abstinence would be met with either answers or obstinate glances as some people felt that Lent is about keeping your suffering to yourself.  Some people would have witty comebacks to the question such as- "Being Catholic."  Other people gave up being sober, gave up doing homework, or gave up distractions such as class.  My personal favorite was when someone suggested that the cafeteria had ceased making food for Lent- or was that me?

My 8th grade religion class discussed various kinds of sacrifices- everything from doing a random act of kindness to giving up your favorite pair of shoes for Lent.  One of the teachers recommended just doing something that reminds you of God.  I'd like to point out that the kids laughed at him and told him that if he wasn't thinking of God he was doing something wrong.  (I like them.)

Well, a week and half since Lent started and already I'm ready to throw in the towel.  Sure I gave up something I knew would be a sacrifice and would (hopefully) drive me closer to God in his 40 days of suffering but why does it have to be so long?  Why does it have to be hard? Why do Sundays not count?  Why can't I eat meat?  Why! Why! Why!  (I'm sure my prayer warrior is out there laughing.) 

Among other things I will admit that I gave up Facebook for Lent.  I waste far too much time catching up with other peoples gossip, keeping tabs on people I never talk to, and keeping up with my favorite funny links via Facebook.  And all in the name of sacrifice.  Now my question is, does my forfeit of my favorite social network really draw me closer to God?  Do I use that time to actually pray more as I intended?  Have I been more productive with my life?  Am I at least getting more sleep? I have no clue.

On that lovely note, I am going to list my favorite things that (other people) have given up for Lent... lest I sound like I am patting my own back too much.

1.) Sitting- the exception being in Church and class.  The former due for humility and the latter to avoid the distraction of others.  Unfortunately this young man chose to kneel at meal times and unfortunately usually ended up at a table full of girls.  You can imagine the humor that this caused.

2.) Abstaining from makeup and jewelry.  None of us recognized her.  In my mind I likened it to the change between the post-converted Mary Magdalene and her previous sinner self.

3.) Abstaining from use of the computer except for school.  This was particularly frustrating to the classmates of said student who needed his aid on the Internet but we could never accomplish a time when we were all online.

4.) Being kind to his arch-nemesis- namely me.  It was a long Lent as I was doing the same thing.  The difference was I didn't know he was being nice to me for Lent.  We didn't have much to talk about and rejoiced at Easter because we could continue with our usual bickering.

5.) Giving up whining and sighing.  Albeit this one came from two different people, I am particularly impressed by the first one because it comes from a six-year-old child.

In the effort of focus, I will continue this list later, perhaps even before Lent is over, but for now, this is my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment