Thursday, February 09, 2012

Potato Salad

This was written in 2006 when I was still a minor.  I like to think that my writing has improved.  I'd like to point out that I was a wee bit crazy at this point.  I would also like to point out that it's still true.  Most people think of Valentine's Day and if they are alone they sulk and if they are in a relationship they stress.  Seven years later, when I think of Valentine's Day I still think of Michael.

How many times since the war started have we passed over the stories of a soldier’s death, or a civilian’s martyr? How many pangs have we forgone in the attempt to keep our own perfect little worlds from shattering? How often have we tried to shut out the darkness and the sadness? We need to reopen our hearts to the pain, so that we don't block out someone in need. Here’s the story of my wake up call.
Yesterday, Valentine's Day, my Mother was waiting for some sandwiches to be made at the supermarket to feed the throng of teenage boys that always seem to accumulate around her. A woman came up behind her and since she was just picking up four containers of potato salad my Mother spoke to the lady behind the counter to assist the woman first. In an effort to make conversation my Mother asked, “So, are you having a party?”
The woman looked at my Mother and answered, “Not exactly. My son died in Iraq on Valentine’s Day and all the family is coming into town today.”
The woman began to cry and my Mother went and held her tightly. “You know he’s in heaven now?” my Mother reassured her. My Mother continued to try to comfort the lady as the woman behind the counter (who didn’t speak or understand English all that well) watched on in confusion. The woman began to sob and managed to say, “I know he died doing what was right, but I would do anything to have him not be a good guy and still be here with me.”
My Mother asked the lady, “What was his name?”
And she replied, “Michael.” Apparently he died in transit going to the hospital and he held his rosary and he was wearing his medals.
Please say a prayer and then pass this on if you could. Now is not the time to forget and tomorrow isn’t either. Please continue to pray with me for our soldiers’ safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment