Thursday, July 22, 2010

Things I did not expect that I would need to learn, and other excerpts from my journal

Once upon a time I thought I knew stuff. Please note, that time is not now. As with all fairy tales, reality eventually sets in and you realize that a place where three bears live is not where it would be pleasant to nap, prince or no prince, you shouldn't lose a shoe no matter how late you are, presents from strangers are not good, and that they probably recycled Michael Jackson. It has long been the case that I have not said everything that popped into my head- largely because people find my running commentary tedious and in part due to the fact that no one would ever be able to start laughing. Perhaps this is a bit vain for me to say but it is generally true. At one point in my life I thought I should write a blog with the running commentary of random thoughts that pop into my head in the course of a day. This is the second installment of wisdom from my journal and is dedicated to all those things that I never expected I would have to learn in my adult life.



Things you write in your journal may be erased but are never forgotten.


Dreaming is for sleeping.


"Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved." -Shakespeare


Part of being mature is realizing that you don't always have to be.




You should not create standards so strict that no one can live up to them, especially yourself.




Never lie to a child because they never forget it.




"It is nothing to die. It is frightful not to live." -Jean Valjean, Les Miserables




Attempting to not be silly usually makes you more so.




Never do anything out of anger.


Don't live the present for the future or the past.


If you cannot laugh at a stressful situation, someone else will find it hilarious.


Good-byes are not forever.


The only one who takes joy in human sorrow is he who is never joyful


"Human beings, not human doings." If that makes sense no explanation is necessary, and if it doesn't, no explanation is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment