Monday, November 04, 2013

The Gabbie Lady is the Apple Lady

One of the best parts of living in Texas is Apple Season.  Sure, apples are available almost all year but in the real part of Fall, in the deep part of Apple Season, we make Apple Sauce.

I know what you're thinking, apple sauce?  Really?  You can buy it at the store; it's not that expensive.  And you'd be right, but it's not our apple sauce.

At Sprouts, our local mostly organic, ultra crunchy grocery store, most of the employees know me and once fall rolls around they start asking when is apple week going to be.  This fall I discovered that they call me the apple lady because of all the times I've bought fifty pounds of apples and promised they'd be gone by Monday.  I don't think they believed me... the first time.

Then apple week happened this year and all was wonderful.  I bought fifty pounds of apples to make apples sauce and I bought twenty pounds of apples to distract all the small people away from the apple sauce.  It was a great plan, and for the most part it worked (there were probably forty pounds of apples after all was said and done).

And then it was slice em, dice, em, peel em- and then we discovered that Tia's new mixer will pull out all the parts that don't go well in apple sauce (seeds, stems, leaves, etc.) and there was much rejoicing.

And now that it's all done except for canning, I don't think I ever want to eat apple sauce again.

No comments:

Post a Comment