Monday, September 30, 2013

Adventures in Spanish

My Spanish isn't so good.  In fact it is what I affectionately explain as, "me Español es muy malo."  Generally, this causes more laughter than I would wish, and an accompanying compliment or a great deal of patience.  

In recent months I have been given a great opportunity to practice Spanish, both in my work and in an ESL (English as a Second Language) class that I am co-teaching.  I am the only native English speaker in the class.  Fortunately all my students speak Spanish, so even when I do not understand what they are saying amongst themselves, I can at least follow along tolerably well.  At least for the most part.  I also try not to laugh at my students as they are learning and I am the teacher.  This is the story of one of those occasions where I couldn't stop the hilarity that ensued.

Mary is a great student.  (I have several of them in my class so I don't have to worry too much about anyone pinning this to one person.)  She studies hard before and after class and is an active participant, never misses a class, and always does her homework.

Last week we were going through some exercises of arranging a present tense verb into a past participle within a sentence.  What Mary said was, "Oh really?  Do I usually talk to you in your dreams?"  I turned about face and walked away before I started busting up laughing.  So did my co-teacher, Carlos, who prattled off something to her in Spanish.  Everyone in the class, including Mary, started laughing.  I was blushing terribly.

What she meant to say was, "Do you usually talk in your sleep?"

No comments:

Post a Comment